Thursday, February 16, 2012

Well, now that I know what to blog about...


We purhased our house on May 31, 2011. I will add pictures of the house later, when I get a chance, as my computer crashed that had all those photos on it. I haven't transferred them to my new laptop just yet.
The good news is, it's a wonderful home. We have 12 acres of land to play on, the back end is bordered by the Little Cedar Creek. Being here for the last 8 months has been a lot of fun for all of us.
We started the summer building a garden and planning what we are going to do. We have a good sturdy barn, that Aaron wants to make into a workshop, with a play loft on the 2nd floor. The detached garage will be going away, with a pole building replacing it, and the kitchen needs a makeover from head to toe. So, that is what my blog is going to be about. The trials and tribulations of rebuilding a house.
Since Thanksgiving 2011, Aaron has been working in the barn. He has removed the stable areas and posts. We made a visit to our favorite home shopping center ("Restore" in Mason City, IA) and found several old school doors to use on the interior. We also found double hung windows to put up on the 2nd floor, so we can watch the view from up there. Plans are also to put in a bathroom and kitchenette. This will be where I get to do my canning in the summer time. (YEAH!)
Minor little updates have happened, too. Sawyer and I pulled all the ghastly wall paper off from the stairway to upstairs. Now we have bare plaster to stare at, but it will get painted over soon. We are also discussing kitchen plans, and have started buying replacement appliances... a dishwasher and microwave to start.
Today, is window day. We purchased double hung windows from Sears home improvement, and are having them installed today. The gentlemen doing the work are very meticulous about what they are doing, and clean and vacuum after every nail is removed. I'm very impressed so far. The new windows change the look and feel of the room, too. What truely amazes me, is, it's 47 degrees in Feb. that they are doing this. LOVE that part of it!
That's it for today. As soon as we close on the other house (date 2/23) we can start purchasing fruit trees to cover the back yard. Looking forward to have hugs harvests of cherries, plums, and apples, along with the other garden harvests.

No comments:

Post a Comment